- We are no longer going to count calories. Calorie counting sucks out loud. I haven’t counted calories in years!!! In all my years of competing it was NEVER about the calories.
- We are going to read the back of foods to review the INGREDIENTS list, not just to look at the calorie count see number 1
- Snacks will no longer consist of just 1 food item. (ie. just nuts, fruit etc)
- We are going to learn how to cook 1x week.
The key to nutrition is meal timing. We were taught to eat 3 meals/day. Well that’s really hard and leaves us with low energy spots in they day. Those low energy spots cause us to crave. You want it’s like when you crave. You need to be tied to your chair with chains to keep you from the object of your desire.
Eating should include all food groups, we are not going to ban ANY food group. You have limited quantities but all food groups are include in your plan. ** With that said, some of you many have certain intolerances or food allergies that keep you from eating certain foods. All meals should include:
- protein — unlimited lean protein (cheese is not a protein; keep diary to a minimum)
- unlimited veggies and fruits (exceptions — bananas, mangoes, pineapples, papayas, grapes)
- starchy carbs — limit the breads, pastas obviously the desserts
You’ll want to avoid alcohol, it’s considered a treat, we’ll discuss treat meals at later time. Artificial sweeteners, if you must use stick with Stevia.
Okay now let’s put that together.
Shopping list — grab your list from the email
7 day meal plan – grab this from the email
Okay now that you have an idea of what to eat how do you make it happen?? Well.
- Go grocery shopping every week. This way you have fresh foods in the house and there are no excuses.
- Cook 1x week, yes you heard correctly. Every Sunday I set aside 2 hours and I cook ALL my food for the week. I know you are asking will it say fresh. Yes.. I leave in the fridge 3 days worth of food and then I freeze the rest and then thaw it when I need. Now I don’t do this freezing every week because it depends on what I’m having, but if I’m cooking up a bunch of chicken or other protein yes this is what I do.
- My protocol
- Grocery shop
- Marinate any protein that I’ve purchased ( use store-bought that doesn’t have high fructose corn syrup or make my own)
- Chop veggies. I will roast or grill them — I like to have flavor (my quirk its post competing syndrome)
- Grill or roast protein
- Chop any fruits that need it and put a squeeze of lemon to keep from browning
- Once I’m done cooking I put everything into glass containers — I recently switched from tupperware.
- Depending on how much I’ve cooked 1/2 goes in my fridge and the other half goes in the freezer. You can take the freezer stuff out the night before and put it in the fridge and it thaws quite nicely.
- Even more recipes
- Need more I’m a sucker for Pinterest, be sure that you put a timer on this could be a time suck =)
- Protein powder that I use is called Isagenix — no artificial sweeteners, all organic. Also available dairy free. For a free sample shoot me an email with your mailing address. In the subject line write free shake sample.
- Review the menu and create your own menu
- Make a shopping list
- In the comments below on or on my Fab Fit Squad Facebook page please let me know how you feel about today’s challenge, did you learn something new. Where you confused by anything. Do you think this will be hard to sit with or does this seem like something you can achieve.
BONUS– I’m attaching a measurement sheet. Now… you don’t have to do this or publish where you are but it’s nice to know where you started from.
- My protocol
- Day 1 Introduction
- Day 2 Mindset
- Day 3 Goal Setting
Missed a few day — play catch up
** As with any exercise or weight loss program, you should consult with your doctor and consider any current or past health conditions or injuries before participating. Information provided here is based on my experiences as a certified ACSM personal trainer, fitness professional, Lifestyle Management nutrition manager and ACSM wellness coach.